Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Fly

Ever been distracted? Totally, absolutely, distracted (and frustrated) by a fly?  That is my current situation. In the midst of trying to complete a paper, this persistent, pesky little fly keeps landing in my vicinity. Always within eyesight, never within reach. And, this has been going on for a few hours now. I have a towel poised in my lap, waiting for the right time to strike. Yet the time never comes. He keeps eluding me. In the meantime, I’m wasting time. Not focusing on the important thing, the task at hand, the thing that really matters - my paper.

That’s sort of how life is isn’t it? We find ourselves occupied by things that really don’t matter. In the grand scheme of things what does God care about the house we build, the car we buy, the money we make, the prestige we have, whose name(s) we wear on our shoes, clothes, phones, etc. There is eternity at hand. Why do we pursue the things that are always in our eyesight – yet never, or at best, occasionally within our reach? But even when we get them…

Like this dang fly. Even after (if) I kill him, there’ll be another. Yet another thing to distract me. The key is the focus, perspective. Look at Paul…

 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith...But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:7-9, 13, 14).

Now, back to my paper...

Pressing to rest,

Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment