Monday, July 19, 2010

Week 13 - Faith

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…” Hebrews 12:2a

I need this right about now. I need to remember the Source of my faith. I confess, faith is not one of my virtues. As I probably mentioned before, I have a tendency to prepare for or expect the worse. Truth be told, most times “the worse” never comes, which results in me expending unnecessary energy. I have this developed this "deep, thought-provoking" saying over the years, after living through seasons of difficulty (which for me is often accompanied by anxiety). “All that worrying for nothing.”

I realize that the exact opposite of anxiety is faith, “being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1). It takes faith for me to continue in this pregnancy with joy. In this 13th week, I am nearing the end of my first trimester. This is typically the time when many expectant parents begin sharing their news as it is medically stated that the risk of miscarriage is dramatically reduced. This is considered a great milestone. And, yet for many, the anxiety continues. Why? Our eyes are “fixed” on the wrong things – medical research, technology, etc. None of these things are capable of providing the faith needed to continue the pregnancy in hope and joy.

I've learned that pregnancy is all about hoping for the unseen. In spite of ultrasounds, heartbeats, butterfly-like movements and kicks, there is something about wanting to see the baby. Our anticipation is even more heightened as we have determined to wait until delivery to learn the gender. We can hope and pray. But, the only way to move forward peacefully and joyously is to focus on the One who not only “wrote” and created our faith, but sustains and completes it. God alone holds our future. May we choose to rest in Him.

In times of doubt or anxiety, when tempted to lose sight of Christ, I choose to call out as one father did on behalf of his child, “Lord, I believe, help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24)

With fixed eyes,

Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment