Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 20 - Covered

You hem me in, behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139:5,6.

I often forget this reality. There are times when I allow life’s circumstances to overwhelm me. Times when I give Satan far more credit and power than he’s due. There are times when I fail to acknowledge that all the victories and challenges that come my way have had to pass through the Lord’s hand before ever reaching me. I am hemmed in. Covered.

As typical these days, this verse came to mind as I marveled at the movement I felt within me. I reflected on how peaceful the child must be, how much he is able to rest, how protected she is. I thought of all that I have read about the way God has created a mother’s body to shield the child from outside elements and trauma. He is protected and hemmed in. Covered.

It’s unbelievable how protective I am of what’s going on inside of me. I nudge away the dog if she gets too close to my stomach. I hold handrails tightly as I go up and down stairs. I watch what I eat and drink. I am determined as much as it is within my control and power to protect this child from danger. And, yet in the back of my mind I realize that this will not be my only role. There will come a time when I will have to discipline and correct, to allow the child to learn from his mistakes and be challenged - all in love.

And I smile.

I smile because I realize this is how God is with us. Those of us who are His children are protected and covered. And while it is fully in His power to withhold some things, there are times when He disciplines and corrects, times when He challenges and stretches us. How sweet to be able to rest like an unborn child, with the simple knowledge that we are in His hands.

As much as I would want to completely and forever protect the child, she cannot stay in the womb forever. He must come out. She must face the world and all that it has to offer. At that time, my ability to hem him in completely will be over. Yes, I can offer some protection, some covering, some peace, some rest. However, ultimately I will need to hand her over to the Lord where she can be totally and completely…covered.


Desiring rest,

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment