Thursday, August 5, 2010

Week 24 – Remember the Miracle

“Do all things without grumbling or complaining” Philippians 2:14

I blew living by this verse this week. 99 degrees, 6 months pregnant, 7 days beyond a 30 day labor “guarantee”, and the home air conditioner goes out, on a Saturday. And yes, I grumbled. And complained. A lot. In fact, I stressed to the Lord that if He was ready for the rapture, ready to take us into heaven, I was ready. And I was dead serious. Then I laughed. I remembered how I ridiculed Jonah for his anger towards God for taking away his shade tree. I recalled how I judged him for being so angry that he asked to die. Ah, to walk in someone else’s shoes…

My frustration is a reflection of my heart really. If things do not go the way that I want or plan, I grumble and complain. I’m quite similar to the Israelites. After 400 years of slavery (understandably filled with grumbling and complaining), God decided to deliver them using Moses. Over the course of their deliverance, the Israelites witnessed God sending 10 plagues upon the people of Egypt, while sparing them, His chosen people. They experienced the parting of the Red Sea, crossing over on dry ground, followed by the destruction of the Egyptian army as the waters flooded them. They ate manna, a daily provision of bread from heaven. And, yet, when things did not go the way they planned or preferred, they complained – about food, about water, about living conditions, etc. etc. etc. They failed to remember the miracles. They lost sight of the eternal God and chose to focus more on their temporal circumstances.

So, at 6 months pregnant during the hottest summer I’ve experienced since living in Tennessee, with swollen feet, difficulty in maneuvering, sleeping, and several other nuances of pregnancy, I choose to remember the miracles – the conception, the growth, God’s protection, His provision, the fibroids shrinking, an easy and overall enjoyable pregnancy thus far, great health, answered prayers, the love and care shown by others, the love and care shown by my wonderful (and patient, and gracious) husband, and on and on. Yes, I remember the miracles, but more importantly, I remember the God to whom the miracles point. And I will praise Him!

Choosing to remember Him,

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment