Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Week 26 – Good Night

“Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat- for he grants sleep to those he loves”. Psalm 127:1a, 2

Yet another sleepless night with thoughts raging in my mind. How will I do this? How can we do that? What about this? Did we consider that? Sigh. It’s exhausting really, trying to run a life that isn’t truly mine. Sure, God gives me free will. Yes, I have the liberty to make decisions. But ultimately, ”all the days ordained for me were written in book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139:16.

I should be able to rest. He has it all figured out. My role is to “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to me as well” Matthew 6:33. Seek Him. And rest.

So, I’m laboring (in vain) when I should be sleeping. I am watching over things that are not mine to watch over. Yes, God calls us to take great care of the things, people and responsibilities He has placed in our possession. I am to make wise choices with the knowledge I have at the time. But I do not have to toil. I turn it over to Him. He builds. He watches. This staying up late trying to figure life out is for the birds. Waking up in the middle of the night trying to determine what to do next is pointless. I need to rest. Truth is, I know He loves me. That is settled. According to this passage, He grants sleep to those He loves. So if that is the case, I’m going to bed. Good night.

Aiming for rest,

Kim

1 comment:

  1. If that's for the birds, then watch out for the bee's too. That's how it all started :) Rest well my friend. He gotchu!

    ReplyDelete